There are several factors that make the issue of e-waste such a pervasive and difficult one to address. The two main ones are the economic and human effects. Much of the material can be re-used and can be very valuable (such as gold); however, they are so embedded into the computer parts that the only way to remove them is hazardous. However, if the materials are not removed, it would be a waste and sooner than expected we would run out of the resources to continue making electronics (especially the precious metals and other elements). Another important factor is that because there is such a complicated web of different markets who each have a hand in this, it is hard to regulate.
I am actually fairly good about not constantly disposing of my electronics. I had my old cell phone for over four years and only got a new one because the battery was almost completely useless. However, instead of just throwing it away, next time I can try to send it back to the vendor. Or if that does not work I can pay the $20 myself to get it recycled in America. That is hardly any money when compared to the damages that a person in India can get from burning electronic parts. I can also make sure that I buy products from manufacturers that follow "green" standards.
Signing off,
Alyssa Potok
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment